Levelling And Finishing The Tables

The New, New Project Part 5

Now that all the table frames are assembled, there’s a few things left to do before we call them complete. They would need to be levelled, fastened together, holes drilled for wiring and table tops would need to be installed.

I designed the tables to be moveable but I also needed them to be stable. I decided the best way to do this would be to screw them together. This would also give me an oppotunity to make sure they were even. This also be a chance for me to test my adjustable legs. They worked perfectly and I was able to adjust them with a minimum of bending down and subsequent head rushes.

You can see the before and after in the photo. I levelled all the tables then screwed them together where the sides or ends touched. They were now level and sturdy. I did a couple of shake tests and they barely moved.

I knew that when I got to wiring all those extra sideas and ends, due to the modular design, would create obstacles. I thought I should make some holes to faciltate the running of wires. I first tried using a hole saw like you’d use for a door lock but it was a lot of work and made a massive hole, much larger than required. (Too embarassing to photograph. Sorry if you’re looking for a picture).

I settled on a 3/4″ boring bit. This does not imply that this bit is dull at parties but instead refers ot its ability to bore holes, usually in wood. I did a test hole and it was much better. Proceed to bore three holes in each crosspiece all the way around the room. I put them near the top since that’s where the wires would be coming through. The three holes just gives me more choices when running wires.

IMG_0135

Sometimes the things that make it look like I’ve done a ton of work are the easiest. The table tops fall into this category. Armed with a cutting plan I ventured down to my local building supply and bought two 4′ x 8′ x 3/4″ pieces of plywood. Then the helpful man on the panel saw cut it according to my plan and I came home with the tops all ready to fasten on.

The only complication at all was the one wide (29″ x 38″) table where the roundhouse will be. I had two 14 1/2″ x 38″ pieces cut for that one. After a number of sessions with my handy drill and power screw driver, the tops were fastened down and the tables were finished. Huzzah!

Just for fun I threw down some track and ran some trains. I’ve included a link to the video on Facebook but I’m not sure it will work:

Next time, the thrill of gluing down foam!

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: